Custom Pages

.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Decision about a Mission

Sunday, September 22, 2013
As many of you know, I have had a strong desire to serve a mission my entire life. As I got older, this desire only grew immensely. 

I have felt like the Lord has done so much for me, that the least I can for for Him is serve an 18-month mission to help bring others unto the Gospel. 

I have seen the blessings of the Gospel in my life, and I know of its truthfulness. I want nothing more than to share this Gospel with others. 

When the announcement was made last October to lower the age in which girls can serve missions, I truly felt it was an answer to my prayers. I had wanted so badly to serve a mission, but I didn't want to wait until I was 21. I wanted it ASAP. Then, I got what I wanted.

I did the math and started a countdown on my phone as to the day my papers could be submitted. The date was April 22. 

As the day approached, I felt more and more uneasy about the mission. I wanted to go, but in praying about it, the Lord was telling me that it wasn't the path I should go. I finally got my answer in March that I should not go. 

I don't find it a coincidence that my broken ribs acted up around this time, and would have made it very difficult to get medically cleared to serve a mission, as well as I am not able to get my wisdom teeth out because of the way my body reacts to surgeries. The risks definitely outweigh the benefits.

I didn't understand the reasoning behind me not going, but I knew there was something that would be happening in those 18 months that I needed to be here for. 

I decided to not turn in my papers, and the decision was not an easy one. It is hard to watch my friends open their calls, and I always want one, but the Lord constantly reassures me that it is not my time to go. Maybe in the future, but not right now.

As hard as this was, I have come to the realization that I don't need to serve a mission to be a missionary. I can be a missionary every day! I can live what I believe and be an example to others. I already have had missionary experiences, and have had many things happen in my life that wouldn't have happened if I had gone on a mission. 

I know without a doubt that the Lord has a plan for me, and all I need to do is trust in him. He will guide me. All I need is faith and to be obedient.

Like my Aunt Connie once told me, "We don't always know why, but we can always know what to do."


1 comment :

  1. Holy cow. What an example of faith you are to me! It's amazing how you can get an answer to not go, even though you don't understand it, and you follow it. Though you don't understand it now, I'm positive you will in the near future.

    we&serendipity

    ReplyDelete

Alice Jane + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio