Custom Pages

.

Friday, August 15, 2014

The Perfect Summer

Friday, August 15, 2014
Back in January when people had started talking about housing for Spring and Summer, I felt a little overwhelmed. It was JANUARY. How was I suppose to know where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do for the summer? What if I signed a contract and wanted something different? I ultimately decided to put it off until March.

I realized that I needed to find a reasonable place to move into the following month. I had a whole list of things I wanted my place to have. I wanted it to be social, close to campus, have awesome people, great ward, a pool, and things to do outside. I started looking around at places and nothing felt right. It was all wrong. I was getting beyond frustrated, and I wanted something different. I remember calling my mom in frustration after every tour and voicing my concern of never being able to find a place to live.

I looked into year round contracts and spring/summer contracts, but I found the perfect house for Fall and Winter. I signed on the house, but still needed a place for Spring and Summer.

Then, as I was going to tour a different place, I drove past this complex that caught my attention right away. It looked like its own little community. There was a pool, a basketball court, volleyball court, and a big grassy area. So far, it looked like it was what I wanted. I noticed the sign said King Henry. Instantly, I remembered everything I had heard about that place. It was extremely social, which was the number one thing on my list. I immediately called and set up a tour.

The next day, I went on the tour. I fell in love with the place. We went into the first apartment, and it didn't feel quite right. Then, we went into the second apartment, and it too did not feel right. But, when I walked into the third apartment, I knew that was the one. It was going to be my apartment. I went back and signed the next day. It felt soooooo right.

I became so excited to move in that I didn't want to wait the 5 weeks left in Campus Plaza. It was literally the longest 5 weeks of the entire year of college. Finally, it came time to move, and I was a little stressed. I had to be moved in and packed to get ready to head home the next day for my wisdom teeth surgery. Moving in was quite a fiasco, too. This was not off to a good start.

Then, there was a fiasco about someone taking my spot in my room, and my roommate wanting her spot, and whatever, so I ended up moving rooms to avoid a conflict. Looking back, I should have stayed in my room, but that is okay.

I immediately went home for a week, then came back to Provo. For the first few nights, I just stayed by myself because I didn't know anyone. Then, we had our first ward FHE, and I met a girl named Cassandra. She took me in under her wing, even if she is only 4'11". From there, she introduced me to what would become the best friends group I have ever had, and pray that I continue to have. Also that night, I met a girl in the hot tub named Khloe, who has now become one of my best friends. I remember sitting in the hot tub not really saying anything because I didn't know anyone, but probably within a week or so, these kids felt like my second family.

I would wake up, go work out, go to work, get home and play with these kids. We would swim, hot tub, hike, talk, watch movies, bowl, play basketball or volleyball, or all go to a party. It didn't matter what we did, it was all so fun. There was never a dull moment. I loved these kids so incredibly much. Kristen even became my coworker!

Cassandra Freeman is like a sister to me, and I owe her so much for all she has done for me this summer. Everything that comes out of Kristen Walker's mouth is golden. Dana Steinhorst is hilarious, and her boyfriend, Chris Lefteroff, make the perfect couple. I love talking to them! Cassy Wingo will light up the entire room. Khloe Arledge has the biggest heart and the cutest personality, and is genuinely an amazing person. Nakia Norman went on too many trips this summer, but I loved every minute I got to be with her! Marc Manuele is a little boy, but in a good way. We all love Marc, and I love our deep conversations we have all the time. Soren Simonsen is a giant teddy bear with the biggest heart. Ryan is a goofball. He makes me laugh! Quinton Wong is intelligent, yet so funny. Josh Millheim is one of the kindest souls I have ever met. Josh Barrett's smile melts my heart, and he is just about the sweetest guy. Luke Johnson goes down in the books as my favorite human being ever. He has been there for me all summer, and I am sure he will continue to be there forever. Jon Heath is a very attractive guy [so follow him on Instagram], but also such a caring guy. He is genuinely an all-around great guy. Jordi Sharp is probably the kindest hearted girl you will ever meet, and I have loved our weekly temple trips. The boys who lived in the apartment next to mine, Harrison, Eric, Tyler, and Michael, you all are awesome. I enjoyed walking by your apartment and you always saying hi or sitting on your porch doing something fun, or the late nights out in the courtyard. Everyone else that I met, I think you are awesome, too!

My ward was literally amazing. I had always heard about wards being awesome, and I always wondered how wards could differ from each other. Well, now I know. My ward this summer was incredible. The bishopric was amazing, their wives were phenomenal. The sacrament meetings always had the best talks, Sunday School the most entertaining lessons, and Relief Society the most spiritual lessons and discussions.

I was able to be a Relief Society teacher, and wow. I have loved that calling more than any other calling I have ever had. It was such a blessing in my life, and I grew to love each of the girls in our ward so much.

I constantly wonder why I felt the prompting I did to live in the apartment I chose instead of the one next door. I may not know until the next life, but I do wish I would have picked the other one. I would have been roommates with Khloe! Either way, I had a strong prompting and ended up right where I needed to be.

The night before last, everyone seemed to congregate in the courtyard for one more night together. As I sat and watched everyone interact, listen to the conversations, and soak in the laughter, I realized just how badly I didn't want this to end. I really didn't want to leave. I wanted that moment to last forever. Yep, I went inside and cried myself to sleep. The realization that summer is ending and we are all going separate ways was too much for me, and it still is. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to move into my new house and meet my new roommates, and who knows, maybe I will become best friends with one of them, but I am going to miss the King Henry life. 

This summer has literally flown by. I am fighting back tears right now. I never imagined moving would be this hard, and I am just moving down the street! Haha! I am going to miss being able to walk out my front door and always have someone to see or something to do. This isn't the end of King Henry and me, because I have a feeling I will always be back over there.

Between the random adventures, late nights, summer romances, drama, friendly people, and everything in between, I really don't want this to end. I don't want to move, but today is the day we all move.

I just pray that the friendships create this summer will last forever. I hope we all stay in touch and the memories continue! Thanks for being so awesome and good to me, everyone! I love you all SO MUCH! Until next summer! [Yes, that means that NONE of us can get married and we ALL have to go back to King Henry.]

kthanksloveyoubye.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Alice Jane + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio