Custom Pages

.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

32nd Ward Dating

Tuesday, April 15, 2014
I am still trying to formulate what exactly I want to say.

All I know is that this night was definitely one I wanted to write a post about.

I am literally dying of laughter right now, and just about every time that I think about it.

So, my ward got a new bishop about a month ago. A few weeks ago, it was announced that we would be having a ward FHE called Courting, Covenants & Confections. 

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?

I will explain.

Courting is referring to the courting advice we were all going to receive, and confections referred to the refreshments we would all get afterwards {which were delicious}.

However, the entire night was suppose to be on covenants. There was a sealer who came and spoke with us, which was pretty cool.

However, that's not what my beef is. My beef is this. All the engaged couples from the ward were put on a panel. We, as single people, got to submit questions anonymously to the engaged couples. If the night really was about covenants, then almost every question asked to the couples was completely irrelevant to covenants. We don't need to know how the couples got engaged, or even how long they dated before they had their first kiss. If the focus was really on covenants, the couples should have presented the different covenants we make, and their meanings.

Since the goal of every ward is to get all of the kids married off, activities like these are pretty regular. I mean, because talking to happily engaged couples totally speeds up the Lord's timing of when we are all meant to get married, right?? {If you couldn't tell, that sentence was full of sarcasm}. 

I am just going to be blunt with my opinion. I understand what is trying to be done here. I appreciate the effort put into this, but I think the set-up wasn't the best way to do it. As a girl, I don't really have a say as to when I get engaged, and no one has a say as to when the timing is right with the Lord. I look around at the girls in my ward, and I can't think of any that wouldn't love to be even just dating someone right now. I was really upset when I heard this activity announced because it seems almost like a slap in the face to the girls---some of which have lived in our ward for many years. The last thing they would want to do was go listen to other engaged couples talk about being engaged. We already hear enough about marriage anyways. I was debating whether to even go or not. I actually almost pulled off a fake engagement with Roger just to rebel!

Nonetheless, I went. 

Right as it was starting, Dallin {who has an awesome blog here} whips out his iPod and tells us he is live tweeting the entire thing. PURE GENIUS.

A few more of us joined in, too, and pretty soon, we had a whole feed full of them.

 So, folks, all the grand one-liners were turned into tweets, which then turned into screenshots, and finally put on here for your enjoyment! {and mine, too, of course.} 







^^^^Our favorite couple right here! ^^^^





4 comments :

  1. seriously so crazy to me, silly ysa wards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to re-read this and come to my apartment to chat about it if you really would like to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are going to have a PUBLIC blog, be ready for whatever people have to say. If you can't handle what people have to say and keep deleting their comments, maybe you should just make your blog private so only those who you want to read it will.
    Other than that, I have read your post several times and I think you should read it back to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed this post and how hilarious it is! No wonder the people worry about girls having self-esteem issues here at BYU, when it's beaten into their heads that getting married off in college is "the only right thing". That's a lot of pressure, for both guys and girls. Ladies should be happy as they focus on their talents, life progress and the good things all around them, instead of feeling depressed that they aren't married yet. Dating is important. Marriage is important. BUT IT IS NOT LIFE. The Lord's timing is above all.

    I loved what Bishop said about the dating panel on Sunday, "I guess the only thing that we learned from them is that there are no rules. Everyone's situation is different." Couldn't agree more.

    The panel was not meant to be serious, but a lighthearted (and really hilarious) discussion. The speaker on temple covenants was wonderful and that part was actually enlightening and interesting. Alice, I'm glad you blogged about this and know what is important :)

    ReplyDelete

Alice Jane + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio