Custom Pages

.

Monday, December 23, 2013

The Question on Everyone's Mind

Monday, December 23, 2013
I am just going to answer the question that seems to be on everyone's mind. 

No, I do not have a boyfriend. 

Hahahahahaha it is seriously funny that every person that I talk to always asks, "How is college? Are you dating anyone yet? Are you engaged?" {No, this questions does not bother me AT ALL, it actually makes me laugh a little. Laughing is good for the soul.}

Yes, people, it is possible to go to college at BYU and not be engaged by the time you finish your first semester. I love how there is some myth at BYU and BYU-I that any person who goes to either university will be meet "the one" on the first day of college, fall in love, get engaged, get married, and live happily ever after---all in the first three months of college. At least, that's what everyone told me right before I headed off to college. 

Now, when I come home to visit, literally everyone asks, "Do you have a boyfriend?" If my answer is that yes, I do, the next question is, "Are you going to get married?", and if my answer is no, the next question is, "WHY NOT?! YOU WOULD BE SUCH A CATCH!"

Well, folks. I wish it was that easy to find my eternal companion. 

Finding an eternal companion is hard, stressful, and there's definitely been heartbreak along the way.

I didn't date much in high school. In fact, I went on more dates my first three weeks of college than I did probably all of high school. The entire dating game shifted for me, and it hit me like a brick my first few weeks at Aspen Grove. It was interesting to go from high school, where dating was for fun, to immediately be in the dating world where it was all about finding your eternal companion. 

Next, I will answer the second question on everyone's mind: "Do you date a lot?"

Yes, I did date a lot. In fact, 42 dates and 2 boyfriends in my first semester. 

In high school, I thought I had it all figured out. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted in an eternal companion. 

I wanted someone tall, attractive, spiritual, good at sports, etc. The typical guy that I think most everyone wants. But now that I am actually on the search for my eternal companion, I have learned a lot of things, and most importantly, I am starting to figure out what exactly I am looking for. 

I was having a conversation with a very wise person one time, and he said to me, "Ya know, Alice, the single most important piece of advice I have ever received on dating has been this, 'Find a partner, not a project'. 

That is now the most important piece of advice I have ever received regarding dating. I want someone that will be on the same page as me spiritually. Over this semester, I have decided that my number one quality is no longer the physical attraction. Don't get me wrong, being physically attracted to my eternal companion is still HUGE {and in my top few qualities to look for}, but I feel like someone who compliments me and is one the same page spiritually is more important. I want someone I can spiritually grow with, someone who will push me to grow spiritually, and help me raise a family with the Lord. This is so very important to me. 

When I was registering for classes, I chose between Marriage Prep and Mission Prep. I had already taken Mission Prep through the Institute here in Blackfoot, so I opted for Marriage Prep. Holy Hannahs, I am glad that I did. I have learned so many principles that will benefit my future relationships, both with my eternal companion AND any relationship that I will have forever. But, I think more than anything, I realized that marriage is going to be really tough. Something that will frustrate me, annoy me, and make me upset sometimes, but also bring so much happiness and joy into my life. As scary as getting married is, though, I have also decided that as long as I rely on the Lord and make him the center of my life, everything will work out and be okay. I have to put in my 100%, and it won't be easy, but boy will it be worth it. 

Lastly, I have discovered above all, getting married will all happen when the time is right. It has nothing to do with the fact that I am at BYU, or that my friends are at BYU-I, but it has everything to do with the correct timing. There have been people come and go in my life, that I later realize would have worked out wonderfully, only if the timing was different. It is crazy to think that something as simple as timing can make or break the deal. I know that I will find my eternal companion some day when the timing is right. All I have to do is trust in the Lord, and be the best that I can be. Also, be patient. {I struggle with patience, but this is yet another trial to teach me how to be patient}. The rest will just work out. 


1 comment :

  1. Your head is definitely screwed on straight. haha! For real. I love your attitude & perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Alice Jane + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio