Custom Pages

.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Life Over the Past Year

Thursday, January 2, 2014
As I sit and ponder on what my life was like a year ago, I feel like it was a century ago. 

I was a senior in high school, in the middle of my second trimester. I had senioritis so bad that time just couldn't go fast enough. I was in the midst of competition season for my We The People class, which also brought endless studying, memorization, and the creation of long-lasting friendships. {{{For those of you wondering what the heck 'We The People' is, I will explain. I am a constitutional nerd. This class filled the requirement of the Government credit we all needed as seniors. We spend the first few months of the class learning basics of the government and related topics, and around Christmas time, we are all split up into 6 different units. Your unit becomes a family---well, at least, mine did. Each unit had between 3-4 people, as well as their own topic. My unit was the Bill of Rights! So, for the state competition, each unit gets three insanely difficult questions that we get to take a four minute prepared presentation that fully answers the questions given to us. Then, for the actual competition, we have three-four judges that are top-notch, brilliant individuals that know their stuff about the Constitution. They tell us which of the three questions we will be answering for them, then we read our four minute presentation, and they have six minutes to ask us any questions they want, and we are responsible for answering their questions with facts, quotes, supreme court cases, dates, numbers, statistics. The catch, though, is that we aren't allowed to use any notes during this portion. Everything is from memory, which means a lot of study and preparation goes into these panels. We have practice panels for weeks before we go to the actual competition, then there is State, which we won, and then Nationals. The judges we have can be so intimidating! Each round, there was one question we answered, and there were two rounds overall. So, this means, of our three prepared topics, we only did two of them, and we didn't know which two until we were in with the judges ready to go. For nationals, we got all new questions and topics, so we started from scratch for Nationals.}}} We became a family. This definitely has been one of the most difficult things I have ever done, yet so rewarding. I learned how to rely and truly depend on others. I am so independent! I always feel more comfortable when given a task, to just make sure that I get it all done and take charge. However, in panels, when a question was asked that I was suppose to answer, but would get stumped, I always knew that Elizabeth would bust out a court case, or Chance would bust out a quote. The same went for both of them, too! We had each other's backs. I felt like I would reach my brain's full capacity, only to have Lauren push me even harder. There were times at two in the morning when I wanted so hard to give up and go to sleep, but then told myself I couldn't. Actually, no, I would hear Lauren's voice in my head tell me that I wanted this too badly to let it go. I am super competitive, so I wanted to win, and I was willing to do what it took to win.

At state, everything paid off. I got really sick and lost my voice, and Chance was freaking out that I wouldn't be able to talk and we would lose points. Everyone in the class was most worried about my unit because we had really struggled in the practice panels. Now, it was the real thing, and our five time back to back defending state championship was depending on us doing really well. The first question they asked us was the one that all three of us had wanted. We rocked it. Then second question was the other one we had hoped for, and to say we rocked it was an understatement. We beasted that. One of the questions a judge asked us, we took almost all six minuted to answer because we had so many quotes, court cases, modern day examples and INFORMATION OVERLOAD that we kept on going. It was incredible. As soon as the buzzer rang for our six minutes to be up, the judges looked like we had hit them with a truck. They were amazed and even told us that we were the equivalent of a beginning second year law student. That was such a compliment coming from the head of the bar association in Idaho or whatever that is. The lady knows her stuff. I cried. Haha, you don't even know how much it meant to have all the hard work pay off.

Yes, we did win State for the 6th year in a row.

My life quickly became even more hectic! In the midst of preparing for Nationals, I had all new papers to write, information to learn, Distinguished Young Women to prepare for, and a job that was crazy because we were in the middle of tax season. My schedule went like this. Up at 5, ready for scripture study at 6:15, to school for WTP study sessions at 7, school until 11:30, practice panels until 2, seminary until 3:20, work until 6 or 7, Distinguished Young Women practices until 10 or 11, and another practice session with Lauren until 12 or 1, then home to do homework for my other two college classes, studying and memorization for WTP, and to bed around 3 or 4, only to get up at 5 and start all over.

I was exhausted. But, we made it all the way to DC, and through competitions, as well. I even forgot my binder with all the information in it, and still competed, and no one even noticed. We didn't make it in the top ten, but we did make it 21st out of almost 60 teams. That is better statistically than Idaho had ever done. It felt so good.

By the time we finished all the competing, Senior year was almost over. I hated my senior year more than I can even put into words. Granted, I had some good experiences through WTP, but beyond that, everything else was a nightmare. I finished up my classes, and prepared to move away for my new job.

Graduation came and went, thank heavens, and the happiness I felt walking away from the high school one last time is something that I hadn't felt in years. I was so happy to be done with that forever. I was finally done with the mean people, the annoying people, the drama, the administration I didn't agree with, the rules I felt weren't enforced, and all the crap Blackfoot High School and some of the students there put me through. I WAS DONE.

I finished packing everything up, and I moved three days after I graduated to start my new life at Aspen Grove. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I met the most amazing people of my life, and made the greatest friends I have ever had. Aspen Grove was so good for me, and still is good for me. It restored my hope in humanity after the things I had experienced in high school. Truly, the best summer of my life, and one of the best decisions I ever made. I have no doubt that I was guided to that job. I KNOW that.

A year ago, if you would have asked me where I would be today, I would have told you that I would be on a mission. Today, I can tell you that missions are great, and I want to go on one with all my heart, but the Lord needs me right where I am at more than on a mission. Choosing to not submit my mission papers was another very hard decision that I made in 2013. It still is hard for me, but it is so comforting knowing that I am right where I am suppose to be.

I finished up my three amazing months at Aspen Grove and moved to my new apartment in order to start college. I was so excited, but so very nervous and scared, too! I didn't want my life to become completely overtaken with schoolwork, but it didn't. I actually had some fun! Haha!

One of the biggest blessing of being here in Provo has been living to close to Emily and Joe. I am so glad that I have gotten to know them as well as I have! I love seeing them as often as I do! Emily moved away when I was starting high school, so it has been a long time since I got to spend time with her, and I haven't ever really gotten to know her husband, Joe. Now, living so close to them has allowed me to spend a lot of time with them!

Not only just those two, but also Roger. For the first few weeks of school, Roger and I lived just minutes away from each other. Even when he was back at home for the majority of the semester, we continued to get even closer than we were before his mission! I seriously treasure the relationship I have with him so much.

Sam came home from his mission. Holy hannahs. It was two long years that he was gone, and I missed him so much, but he is home. Definitely a highlight of this entire year.

My hair magically went really dark.

Then, we had a wedding! and I got a new sister! But, I won't go into detail, because a blog post about that is in the works, and will be up soon for everyone to read!

Then, it was the end of the year. Truly, such a year of ups and downs. Tears of sadness and happiness. I have never felt so alone at times, yet at others, I have felt the absolute abundance of people in my life that mean so much to me and care about me. Such a mix of emotions.

All in all, I have grown in ways I didn't know I could, and I have learned things I didn't know I needed to learn. I guess, that's what life is all about, though. I am happy that I went through everything I did, both good and bad, because without any part of it, I wouldn't be me. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Alice Jane + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio